The Best Chef in the World 2019
Stockholm - Sweden
THE BEST CHEF AWARDS 2019
On the 23rd and 24th of September, the city of Barcelona was the setting for a two-day event that was entirely dedicated to haute cuisine. After the brand new Food Meets Science symposium and Area Talks, the award gala at the University of Barcelona was the climax of this culinary event. In the presence of guests from all over the world, chef Björn Frantzén won The Best Chef Top100 Award powered by Barilla, followed by chef Joan Roca (winner of the two previous editions) in second and chef David Muñoz in third place.
The award gala: the climax
The award gala is a global event with chefs from all over the world, travelling from the United States, Mexico, the United Arab Emirates, Japan and from all over Europe for the hottest culinary gala. For the third year in a row, The Best Chef Award was presented to honour the world’s best chef, as well as other awards in various categories.
The most prestigious awards went to familiar faces, as well as several newcomers:
– The Best Chef Top100 Award powered by Barilla winner: Björn Frantzén of restaurant Frantzén in Stockholm, Sweden. The second place is for Joan Roca (Spain), who won the award in 2017 and 2018, the third place goes to David Muñoz (Spain). Last year, Björn Frantzén took the fourth place after David Muñoz (third place), René Redzepi (second place) and Joan Roca (first place).
– The Best Chef City Gourmet Award winner: Disfrutar with Mateu Casañas, Oriol Castro and Eduard Xatruch (Barcelona, Spain). This category award recognized the best chef and restaurant in the host city of the yearly award show.
- The Best Chef Rising Star Award winner: Pía León of restaurant Kjolle in Lima, Peru. This young chef wins this award as an appreciation for her talent and progress in the world of gastronomy.
- The Best Chef Fol-LOVERS Award winner: Grégoire Berger of restaurant Ossiano in Dubai. It is already the second year in a row for Grégoire Berger to win this award, that was introduced in 2018 to value the opinion of the audience of The Best Chef’s followers on social media.
– The Best Chef Pastry Award winner: Jordi Roca of restaurant El Cellar de Can Roca in Girona, Spain. This award celebrates the best pastry chef among all chefs.
- The Best Chef Food Art Award winner: Daniel Watkins of restaurant St Leonards in London, UK. This award is dedicated to the Best Artist among all chefs.
– The Best Chef New Entry Award winner: Disfrutar with Mateu Casañas, Oriol Castro and Eduard Xatruch, in Barcelona, Spain. This category award honours the chef(s) who achieves the highest ranking amongst the new candidates.
– The Best Chef Voted by Chefs Award winner: Grant Achatz of restaurant Alinea in Chicago, USA. This award is dedicated to chef mostly voted by other chefs.
– The Best Chef Legend Award winner: Eckart Witzigmann. This category award celebrates the best chef who is not active in the kitchen as a chef anymore, but who still has a crucial impact on the world of gastronomy.